Found yourself interested with this popular tourist attraction in Shinjuku, Tokyo? I know that a lot of tourists, and even foreign residents, are holding off because the price is pretty expensive. For those of you who are not aware, the Robot Restaurant has been raising their price by 1,000 yen each year since they opened in 2012; it was 4000 yen during its opening.
Starting January 4, 2016, the price has increased from 7,000 yen to 8,000 yen. At this rate, the price may be around 12,000 yen, during the Olympic Game 2020. That’s over $100 (USD) per person! So don’t wait until next year to experience the Robot Restaurant, do it now while discount tickets are available.
I’ve found 5 ways to get discount tickets to the Robot Restaurant. Among these five ways is the 23% off discount from Voyagin where we got our tickets from. However, I have to disclose that Voyagin provided our tickets for free. Although the ticket was sponsored, I will not allow it to influence this blog post.
1. Metropolis Magazine (1,000 or 2,000 yen off)
The Metropolis magazine is free, and you can find them at the airport, or even at your hotel. The discount varies. Usually, the 1,000 or 2,000 yen off discount coupon is at the middle page. Cut it out and show it to the ticket reception when you arrive. Keep in mind that one discount coupon is limited to one person. Meaning, if there are 2 or more of you watching the show, you’d better grab more than 1 magazine. It’s also very important that you call the Robot Restaurant for Reservations, as they will usually sell out fast. Where to find free Metropolis magazine.
PROS: No credit card or online transaction needed.
CONS: You have to call the Robot Restaurant by yourself to make reservations.
2. Voyagin (64 usd)
From the original price of 8,000 yen, Voyagin offers a 23% off discount which make it at 6,800 yen or 64 USD per person. It’s a bit pricier compared to other booking sites that will be mentioned to this list, but don’t scroll down yet. So far, I find that booking through them is the easiest and most convenient way to watch the Robot Restaurant show. The main advantage of Voyagin when it comes to booking the Robot Restaurant is that they are actually the main host in Voyagin. Meaning, when you book with Voyagin, it’s a direct booking with the Robot Restaurant. This makes it easy because you get the email confirmation smooth and fast.
- Free one drink.
- They have dates available when other booking sites are unavailable.
- Start up company, so customer service is great.
- Tickets and bookings confirmation are made as fast as possible since direct contact with Robot Restaurant.
- There’s an option for flexible date/time change for additional 1,000 yen.
- Cancellation should be made 2 days prior otherwise tickets are nonrefundable.
3. Japanican (6,800 yen)
Japanican is actually the online booking site of JTB Sunrise Tours, the largest travel agent in Japan, which is very popular for foreign tourists booking hotels and Shinkansen tickets. Booking the Robot Restaurant show with them is easy and you get the confirmation via email. Although sometimes, they have some dates that are mysteriously unavailable which led some guests to book to other booking sites instead.
- Free 1 drink.
- Cancellation can be made 1 day prior.
- Date or time change is restricted. You need to cancel your original booking first which may incur cancellation fee.
- There are dates or time slots that are sometimes unavailable.
For Bookings: Japanican
4. Klook (5,400 yen)
This is perhaps the cheapest website that sells Robot Restaurant ticket! I believe the reason they are the cheapest is because all purchases are final, no cancellation, and nonrefundable. Once booked, it’s booked.
- Free one drink.
- Instant booking
- Free 500 yen coupon for another drink.
- No cancellation. No refunds.
5. Beauty of Japan (6,700 yen)
This is a new small start up company which just started in September 2015. They offer the same discount as Japanican and Voyagin, but only a 100 yen lesser. But a downside to their online booking system is that you’re unable to actually see the available dates. Instead, you choose a date, fill out a form, and wait for them to get back to you to check for availability. This poses an inconvenience for tourists visiting Tokyo with limited time.
- Cheap as 6,700.
- Cancellation should be made 4 days prior. 3 days prior, you get 50% refund. 2 days prior or no show is nonrefundable.
- You have to wait for up to 1 business day email confirmation to check availability.
- No phone support.
6. Yokoso (6,800 yen)
Yokoso’s rules about Robot Restaurant reservation is actually seems somewhat inconsistent. It stated that reservations are accepted 7 days prior, but sometimes only a day prior. Cancellation policy is arguably quite unclear too as it mostly applies to their tour services. The only way to find out is to try booking with them, besides, it’s only 6,800 per person.
- Cheap as 6,800 .
- Online booking system is a bit tricky.
- They only book for 5:55 p.m. and 7:50 p.m. shows.
- Cancellation policy is unclear.
I encourage you to check their websites to see which one is convenient for you. If you have experienced booking with one of them — how was it? Let me know in the comments!